Thursday, June 26, 2008

Matthew 5:43-48

Love for Enemies

43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[h] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies[i] and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

So I've been reading through Matthew lately, and as I was reading through the sermon on the mount, I started to wonder why Jesus had said "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

I asked my wife her opinion and I gave her mine, but I was curious to figure out what other people might think.

If you have a minute, let me know.

1 comment:

Justin Richards said...

hmm thats an interesting verse. i suppose i'd look at it from the perspective that since its talking about us loving our enemies, perhaps that verse is talking about God loving his enemies. Jesus prayed for those persecuting Him, that they would be forgiven and God is gracious to all, even those who do not acknowledge Him. The sun does rise on both evil and good in the world, and rain falls on righteous and unrighteous (I took this to mean something good - as in rain is nessesary for survival as food can't grow without it, and drought happens and then you can't have water).

Anyway in short, I took the verse to mean that God is gracious and compassionate to all He has made, slow to anger and rich in love, loving all mankind - including his enemies and as imitators of God, we ought to do the same as Jesus preached.

And it'll be awesome to see you too, we're so gonna chillax.

-Justin